>> Thursday, April 23, 2009
The minute I saw this recipe in "Taste of Home" I knew I'd make this cake.
Although the original recipe they used was Raspberry, I decided to use fresh strawberry that I already had.
The cake came out so good that I am pleased with my choice.
This is a light, buttery and fluffy cake with great combination of fruits.
Strawberry Coffee Cake
1 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons water
1 cup fresh strawberries
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- whisk egg, milk and vanilla, stir into crumb mixture just until moistend. Spoon into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add strawberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over batter; cut through with knife to swirl.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a tootpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.